Scenic USA - Mississippi

Each day Scenic USA presents a new and interesting photo feature from somewhere in the United States. Chosen from a wide variety
of historic sites, city scenes, backcountry byways, points of interest and America's best parklands, this site offers the viewer hundreds
of unique vacation destinations and photographic subjects. Each feature is coupled with a brief explanation. For further detailed
information, links to other sites are provided, but are never to be considered an endorsement.

Previous
Archives
Home
Next

 

Scenic USA on Facebook

Scenic USA on Facebook


Other nearby
Points of Interest

Emerald Mound Site

Natchez State Park

Things to Do in Natchez

Historic Jefferson College

Melrose Mansion

Dunleith Mansion

 

 

 

 

 

Mount Locust Inn

Mount Locust Inn - Natchez Trace Parkway, Mississippi

Photos by Ben Prepelka

     By 1785 a steady stream of Kaintucks where shipping goods down the Mississippi River to markets in Natchez and New Orleans. Mount Locust Inn Interior- Natchez Trace Parkway Unable to return their powerless flatboats up river, they sold their boats for lumber and walked back to their homes hundreds of miles to the north. This return route became known as the Natchez Trace.
     With an ever increasing amount of foot traffic on the Trace, William and Paulina Ferguson turned their farm house into a crude inn. For 25 cents, travelers could have a meal of corn mush and milk, and a cozy place to spend the night. Despite losing both husbands, Paulina was able to raise her eleven children plus run a successful inn. As the stream of Kaintucks quickened, a four-room two story annex was built for more accommodations.
     Known as Sleepy Hollow, the Mount Locust Inn was one of more than 50 inns along the 500 mile Trace. About a day's journey on foot from Natchez, the inn is one of the oldest remaining structures on the Trace. Mount Locust Inn Bedroom - Natchez Trace Parkway Marrying James Chamberlain in the early 1800s, Paulina Chamberlain’s descendants maintained the farm until 1944. In 1954 the National Park Service returned the home to its 1810s appearance, a time when the historic road reached its peak of northbound travelers. The site is open daily from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. Period furnishing are setup throughout the house and a short walk leads visitors to a slave cemetery, a brick kiln site and the Ferguson-Chamberlain Cemetery.

   Parkway Map - Natchez to Jackson


 

    Copyright © 2012 Benjamin Prepelka
    All Rights Reserved